If you’re visiting Russia, you might be wondering where the best places to go are. Well, we’re here to help. Russia is a huge country with so much to offer, from the historic significance of The Golden Ring, the laid-back style of Sochi, or the modern advances of Moscow’s business district, there is something for everyone here. Check out why we think these are the best places in Russia to visit!
Moscow is one of the best places in Russia. It is the capital of the country and holds its old charm while also having a modernized feel. This is the center of the Russia art world, including hosting some of the most famous ballets, opera, symphonies. You will also find a lot of Russian women here so be sure you know how to talk to her.
Moscow has to be on the lost of the best places in Russia because of its historical background. There is so much to do in this lively city and you will never get bored. Some of the most popular things to do in Moscow include:
- Visiting St. Basils Cathedral
- Walking through Red Square
- Touring the Kremlin
- Getting your outdoor fix at Gorky Park
- Enjoy a thrill-filled day at VDNKh All-Russian Exhibition Centre
- Shop at the business district of Moscow City
This is Russia’s second largest city and fittingly moving into the number 2 spot on the list of the best places in Russia to visit. Saint Petersburg is known as the northern capital and located on the Neva River, this is a very popular tourist destination, especially for cruise ships, so of course, there is a lot to do.
As you walk through the city, you will be able to admire the rustic architecture and shop at the upscale stores that people love. Some of the most popular things to do in Saint Petersburg include:
- Catching an opera or ballet at the Mariinsky Theater
- Appreciate some fine art from the biggest names such as Van Gogh, Picasso, and Da Vinci at the world famous Hermitage Museum (The Winter Palace)
- Riding in style through the gorgeous canals on a boat ride
- Visiting the oldest museum in the city, the Kunstkammer (Museum of Anthropology and Ethnology)
- Skate in the winter or take a boat in the summer around this less popular park called Yelagin Island
Lake Baikal and Irkutsk
If you are a nature lover, Lake Baikal is the place for you. Almost in the middle of your ride on the Trans Siberian Railway, you’ll find this gem. It’s located in the southern side Russia, close to the border of China.
Lake Baikal gets its bragging rights from being the deepest in the world. The closest big city to lake Baikal, which is only about 30 miles away, is Irkutsk which is known for its old charm and many universities. Some of the most popular things to do in Lake Baikal and Irkutsk include:
- Taking a guided tour through the mountains and lakeside
- Exploring the beautiful architecture that will make you feel like you are in another world
- Tring some of the areas famous food including “buzzy” which a Buryatian dumpling
- Live out your childhood Christmas dreams and pet reindeer
- Take advantage of the mountains and ski
This is Russia’s most popular tourist destination because it is both ideal for summer and winter getaways. Russian women love visiting Sochi too, ask a Russian woman about her experience! There is something for everyone in this beautiful city that’s surrounded by the sea as well as the mountains. Some of the most popular things to do in Sochi include:
- Ski like the pros at one of the famous resorts in Krasnaya Polyana
- Take a dip into the black sea
- Admire the creatures of the deep at the Sochi Discovery World Aquarium
- Satisfy your need for speed at the Russian Formula 1 Grand Prix
- Take a hike into the beautiful Caucasus Biosphere Reserve
- Get pampered at one of the many resorts in the city
The Golden Ring
A short distance north of Moscow lies the Golden Ring, a series of at least 13 cities make up this popular Russian tourist destination. This notable route of cities is filled with beautiful Russian styled churches, medieval fortresses, and old styles towns that take you back in time.
This is the oldest tourist route in Russia, so if you want to really get a look into traditional culture this is one of the best places in Russia for you to visit. Some of the most popular things to do in The Golden Ring include: